SETRAP Prayer composed by Tsem Rinpoche
Sep 7, 2012
Invoking Protection and Blessings
A Prayer to Setrap
Composed by H.E. Tsem Rinpoche
Among many worlds, realms and dimensions
Abide countless awakened beings, enlightened masters
And those we call upon as having full omniscience.
From among these beings, we request Setrap,
The Cosmic Warrior who rides on a gallant horse,
Traversing the winds of karma and
Galloping across various dimensions sans creation,
To come to this place at this time.
Setrap, Your appearance is that of a powerful, strong, divine General
Although Your heart abides in complete compassion.
Your fierce appearance is only to grant protection and
Dispel those who would be harmers.
Please abide here with me now.
I offer You a libation of incense and flowers,
And pure water and teas and all that is wonderful,
Free of attachments, that exists in the universe, actual and visualised.
Please partake of the libation of tea
And the various other sensory offerings I have placed
In order for me to make a strong affinity with You. (x3)
Regrets, mistakes and deeds done of ignorance
Which may haunt my mind bringing self-doubt and remorse,
I ask You to cleanse as I have learnt and progressed.
May they not bear unwanted sorrows.
My body, environment, mind
Are subject to fears, self-ridicule, pain, degeneration,
Illness, old age, spiritual and psychic pollutions.
It all arises from grasping at an illusionary ego
Which clouds our perceptions.
Great Cosmic Warrior Setrap!
Send forth unlimited rays of purifying light, entering my body,
Clearing me of disease and fears,
And granting me light, love, freedom and compassion.
Cosmic Being, who travels existence in a single instant,
I request You to abide in this place, in this house,
In this abode, in this land, in this area and in my heart.
May no negative forces or legions of harm and damage enter.
Please grant Your sacred diamond-like* protection,
That is immovable, indestructible and unassailable,
To my environment and to the beings therein –
I request of You.
Grant us protection, blessings,
Together with signs and auspicious dreams
Of Your holy presence in this abode.
May our works, our lives, our bounty increase,
So that we may be of service to others.
May everyone who abides in this abode
Have bountiful growth, prosperity
And spiritual, along with worldly wealth, if it suits them.
Whenever I travel, am at home, working or in various activities,
Please grant thorough protection,
Like a body followed by its shadow,
To never be separated from You and Your cosmic emanations.
**May You, and all holy and divine and powerful
That abide in Your sacred, ruby-like mandala also bless us.
May my channels, my pathways, chakras
And every single ligament, bone, artery, muscle and fibre
In my body be blessed.
May all my chakras open,
Be healed, be filled with light and be unobstructed
So that I may gain the divine, compassion, wisdom,
Skillful means and full omniscience, just like Yourself.
I dedicate my prayers and my solicitations to You
That the world may be at peace,
All countries may have harmony.
May all the animals be safe, the waters be clear,
The environment become pure.
May all leaders decide for the benefit of others,
May all citizens have more concern for their neighbours than themselves,
May all that exists always abide in light, life and happiness
And our planet and all planets be safe.
I now chant Your sacred mantra,
Which are the sounds of power, compassion, skillful means,
Healing, meditation and wisdom.
And as I chant and recite Your holy mantra
May the reverberations and vibrations of the mantra
Pervade my body, my mind, my soul,
And everyone that I love,
May it even pervade those I view as enemies,
Be filled with love, light, forgiveness, protection
Growth, awareness and Enlightenment.
Setrap, I keep You close to my heart
Grant me full protection from all that may be harmful
To me, my work, loved ones, environment
And especially my Enlightenment.
Setrap’s mantra 金甲衣护法心咒:
OM MA-HA YAK-CHA TSA SO-HA
(Recite daily 7 times, 21 times or more, depending on your time and schedule. Of course, the more the better.)
Colophon: At the request of Ms. Anne Jones, this prayer was composed by H.E. Tsem Rinpoche on 18 August 2012, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for the protection and blessings of all spiritual practitioners.
© Tsem Rinpoche
*In this case, diamonds represent indestructibility.
**Within Setrap’s sacred space abide a multitude of holy, awakened Beings and assistants, angels, dakinis and dakas. We are requesting all their blessings.
A brief description of Setrap:
· The red colour of Setrap’s body symbolises control over one’s inner and outer environments.
· The overbite of the lower-lip symbolises control of one’s faculties.
· Setrap has three luminous, penetrating eyes that represent seeing into the phenomena of the past, present and future, unobstructedly.
· His right hand raises a divine cudgel representing the elimination of our obstacles, pains, guilt and troubles.
· The left hand holds a lasso bound to a ‘human’; the binding of this ‘human’ represents the binding of all of our fears, destructive attitudes, self-created delusions and demons.
· He wears the armaments of a ‘leather cuirass’ likened to when we go into battle and wear armaments to protect ourselves; this represents that Setrap has incredible protective abilities for us.
· The psychic flames which arise from every pore of His body symbolise that wherever He abides, there is an impenetrable force of protection.
· The horse He rides is not a physical animal but an avatar of His mind, representing swiftness in fulfilling our spiritual quests.
· The diadem of ‘skulls’ is a reminder of the fallacious notion of permanency and the ever-present spectre of our own demise; hence, it reminds us to put full energy into our spiritual growth. This diadem of ‘skulls’ also symbolises that He will benefit the dearly departed when we pray for them.
· The five victory flags mounted on His helmet represents generosity, contentment, wisdom, stability and growth.
More on Dharmapala Lord Setrap:
Vajrasecrets, Dharmapala Lord Setrap (Chinese) – Available in Kechara Paradise outlets
Vajrasecrets, Setrap Box Set (Chinese) – http://www.vajrasecrets.com/setrap-boxset-chinese
Vajrasecrets, Setrap Box Set (English) – http://www.vajrasecrets.com/setrap-box-set-english
Please support us so that we can continue to bring you more Dharma:
If you are in the United States, please note that your offerings and contributions are tax deductible. ~ the tsemrinpoche.com blog team