My Medical Status
Posted October 24, 2011
Recently I received treatments from Dr. Jiang and he gave the prognosis below.
(Translation to English)
Today I checked Rinpoche’s right abdomen next to the belly button. When I pressed, there was sharp pain; I pressed again and the pain was found to be connected with the liver. The basic diagnosis is swelling of the liver.
There are two possibilities: first is fatty liver, which is not a big problem. The second possibility is hardening of the liver, which is extremely serious, it may turn malignant.
Under normal circumstances, hardening of the liver is a preliminary to liver cancer, but hardening of the liver alone can also be fatal. If maintained well, lifespan can be extended by 20-30 years; if not maintained well, it will turn malignant in 2-3 years. Once it turns malignant, the pain of the patient is one of the most painful among all diseases. Even if it doesn’t turn malignant, it may also turn into liver-abdomen-fluid – the mortality rate of this is also very high.
From the pain of pressing Rinpoche’s abdomen, it does not look like fatty liver. Rinpoche is still feeling a lot of pain now, and it is not a pain which normal people can endure.
Dr Jiang Zhong
20 October 2011
An Update from the Ladrang
I’m sending this update from the Ladrang to share with you re Rinpoche’s health condition. I’ve spoken to Dr. Jiang today and he has some recommendations for Rinpoche’s health, in view of the inflammation & swelling of the liver and also the possibility of liver cirrhosis & hardening of liver.
Cirrhosis is scarring of the liver. A liver with too much scar tissue cannot work properly to make protein, help fight infections, clean the blood, help digest food and store energy.
Early treatment can control symptoms and keep cirrhosis from getting worse, but there is no way to “heal”/reverse the hardened/ scarred tissue, only to preserve the healthy tissue. In the early stages, cirrhosis causes the liver to swell. Then, as more scar tissue replaces healthy tissue, the liver shrinks. A number of people with cirrhosis also get liver cancer.
2. PRIMARY TREATMENT
The primary treatment recommended by Dr. Jiang is Chinese medicine (herbs), which he said is the most effective in relation to Rinpoche’s current condition.
In a layman’s “summary”, healing would consist of:
– 60% Chinese medicine
– 20% Emotion (less stressful, more relaxed lifestyle) & acupuncture
– 20% Diet
Dr Jiang mentioned that diet is secondary and compliments primary treatment of Chinese medicine, which should be priority.
These 2 items will aid healing:
a) Seaweed/ kelp
- Taken 2 to 3 times a week
– Helps to reduce inflammation and soften the liver
b) Soy based products: soya milk, bean curd, natto (Japanese fermented soy beans), tempeh
– Taken 3 to 4 times a week
– Helps to increase circulation, detox & reduce inflammation
*Rinpoche experienced gout in the past when Rinpoche was on a bean-based diet. We will consult Dr. Jiang to see if there is alternative to soy, or how to prevent gout
Additionally, celery and white radish are good for circulation. Do not consume too much white radish or it will cause discharge of chi, hence it is recommended to take only twice a week.
James, Pastor Loh Seng Piow and I will have a more comprehensive discussion with Dr. Jiang re Rinpoche’s diet tomorrow.
Rinpoche’s health is deteriorating fast. A few weeks ago, Rinpoche has given a teaching, and Rinpoche has told us to be prepared as his time is very short. This is now confirmed with Dr. Jiang’s diagnosis/advice.
Rinpoche has only 1 to 3 years to live. If we take good care of Rinpoche’s health, life span may be prolonged. However, if the situation worsens and develops into cancer, it can be as little as 1 year left.
Also, Dr. Jiang mentioned that the possibility of Rinpoche’s condition to be healed is only between 40%-50%.
In view of how serious Rinpoche’s health has degenerated, I would like to stress the importance of inner “puja” (mind transformation, for example: to go all the way for Dharma, let go off our attachments) that constitutes 70% of the cause to extend Rinpoche’s life span, while the other 30% is outer puja (long life puja) to support. If this is done, then Rinpoche’s treatment will be effective.
Please support us so that we can continue to bring you more Dharma:
If you are in the United States, please note that your offerings and contributions are tax deductible. ~ the tsemrinpoche.com blog team