Are you Asian Chinese or… ?
Although I was born to Tibetan and Mongolian parents, back in the 1970s, when I was studying in Land O’ Pines, New Jersey, I was very often mistaken as being of Chinese descent. At that time, I suppose that knowledge on Asian cultures was still very foreign to Westerners… so being Asian usually meant that you were Chinese!
I think this is very funny here the stereotypes people can have a certain race or heritage. I thought it interesting to share this.
Questions Asian People Are Sick Of Answering
“What kind of Asian are you?” Specific to East Asians
1. “Let me guess: Are you Chinese?”
If I say “yes,” you’re going to say you could totally tell.
If I say “no, I’m ____,” you’re going to say that that was your second guess.
2. “What ARE you?”
Are you asking me where I’m from?
“Yeah, where are you from?”
“Nooo, like, where are you really from?”
“Noooooo, like, where are your PARENTS from?”
3. “But what kind of Asian are you?”
A very jovial kind
4. “Can you tell the difference between the different types of Asian?”
Science says cheekbone heights determines the spectrum of Asian.
5. “I heard they eat dogs. Do they really eat dogs over there?”
Why does it feel like I’m personally being judged for a cultural vice practiced by a tiny piece of the population.
6. “…have you ever eaten dog?”
Literally all the time. My mom’s dish you tried last night?
7. “Are you related to [anyone with the last name Lee, Kim, Chen, Nguyen]?”
Yup, the 1.2 million Kim’s in South Korea comprise one big family.
Believe it or not, some of us have both academic and social skills. Groundbreaking, I know.
9. “Are your parents strict?”
Only about racially ignorant presumptions of other households.
10. “Like, do you have to marry someone from your own culture?”
Only if Confucius says so.
11. “Do you get in trouble if you don’t get straight A’s?”
I’m only reprimanded if I ask dumb questions.
12. Specifically to females: “Are you attracted to Asian guys?”
I’m attracted to anyone who’s …attractive?
13. *Anything ever said on OKCupid to Asian females*
14. “What’s your REAL Asian name?”
I will tell you only if you promise not to attempt to pronounce it.
15. “Omg you speak fluently? How do you say ______ in Korean/Chinese/Japanese/etc?”
16. “Are you really good at karaoke?”
Wow, what a completely stereotypical assumption to make.
But yes, I am.
17. “Are you really good at ping-pong?”
18. “How are you guys all so skinny?”
‘Cause calories shoot right to our brains WHICH IS HOW WE’RE SO SMART.
19. “Has anyone ever told you you look exactly like [one of the few Asian actors in Hollywood]?”
“Harold” from Harold & Kumar? Brenda Song? Bruce Lee? Gong Li? Sandra Oh? What else you got?
20. “Wait — can you understand the other Asian languages?”
Because they are literally other languages.
[Extracted from: http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/questions-asian-people-are-sick-of-answering?bffb]
Please support us so that we can continue to bring you more Dharma:
If you are in the United States, please note that your offerings and contributions are tax deductible. ~ the tsemrinpoche.com blog team